[asterisk-users] Asterisk on Debian Etch

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Tue Apr 24 06:24:49 MST 2007

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 06:36:25PM -0600, Stephen Bosch wrote:
>> He is better off installing from sources, and more likely to get
>> something that performs as it should.
>>
>> Source installs are not complicated -- even when you are using zaptel.
>
> But why do all the extra work, and end up with a system you cannot
> easily reproduce?

Well, I can't speak for anybody else, but I haven't had a problem with
reproducing a source install.

Notwithstanding a careful survey of the release notes with a new version
when upgrading a production server (something you need to do with a
package install anyway), I make sure I back up my configuration files,
do a make and make install, restart things, and generally it works.

>> Josu, if you are concerned about dependencies, use apt-get to install
>> Asterisk first, then remove only Asterisk, Zaptel and libpri and install
>> from source.
>
> Well, if you do decide to go this route, you need build dependencies
> rather than run-time dependencies.

Can you tell I'm a Gentoo user? :P

I've got nothing against packages in principle, and my system has plenty
of packages from the distribution, but I've yet to see a project as
dynamic as Asterisk. What package maintainer could possibly keep up?

-Stephen-