[asterisk-users] RE: OT (a little): IPV6 Ramifications Article

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Sun Apr 22 06:31:25 MST 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 00:43 +0200, Remco Post wrote:
> Hans Witvliet wrote:
>
> > The only obstacles currently, are the ISP's.
>
> Any decent ISP (eg. XS4All.nl) will give you an ipv6 address as well as
> an ipv4 address.
>
> > afaik, all dsl-modems currently can only work with v4.
> > (correct me if i'm wrong)
> >

> So, let the modem be a modem, not a router, and do ip where it belongs,
> on the host/router. Now, for the more intresting questions, where to
> find a decent ipv6 firewall.... (yes bleeding edge linux kernels have
> one, sort of)

Well, not entirely correct.
xs4all gives you an ordinary ipv4 connection, like any other isp does.
Based on that v4 address, you can build an v6-in-v4 tunnel,
There are several so-called "tunnel-brokers", and one of the
experimentel services of xs4all is, that they also provide an tunnel.
Just like the ones i have from
http://tunnelbroker.net/ or http://www.sixxs.net/

I noticed that in Japan and Malaysia  you can get it the other way
round: Your isp connects you with native v6, with v4 gateways
But that is not what xs4all provides...

And to answer my own q, it seems that there is a patch for linksys
w54gwp, enabling it for v6.

Considering firewall? Unless you run a very old version of the kernel in
your distro, current version of iptables is also statefull for IPv6
Userland tool is: /usr/sbin/ip6tables
(pitty that v6 is not included [yet] with mainstream iptables)

>And that is a problem, far to many new applications still get developed
>for ipv4 only, rather than using the generic interfaces available....
Indeed, according to torrent-protocol, it should have been completely v6
aware, but i noticed that ktorrent (in the SuSE-10.3-distro) does not
support it, alas ;-((

Well, at last apache, firefox, bind and ssh do v6 out-of-the-box.
(perhaps some more)

H.W.

--
pgp-id: 926EBB12
pgp-fingerprint: BE97 1CBF FAC4 236C 4A73  F76E EDFC D032 926E BB12