[asterisk-users] RE: OT (a little): IPV6 Ramifications Article

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Fri Apr 20 00:46:53 MST 2007

Hans Witvliet wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 17:11 -0400, Dean Collins wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I know it’s a little off topic but……Wondering if you can help.
>> My wife has been asked to find a writer to produce a story on “The
>> dramatic ramifications of IPV6 on commercial businesses and how it
>> will change the product designs for ordinary household/commercial use
>> in a 5-10 year time frame”
>
> Ordinary household equipment
> Fridge (sending snmp traps if a dork leaves the door open ;)
> radio/tv/vcr (obviously)
> central heating system
> airco
> security

One interesting thing is that most of these devices have quite long
life-times as do the houses they're installed in.

The radio/tv/vcr is changing already - the VCR is dead anyway and the
tv/radio is slowly becoming an integrated entertainment system.  For
the rest, a network connection and an IP-address is only useful if the
house is up to it. For those device you've mentioned, the network
connection is only any good if it's got somewhere to connect, so a sort
of intelligent house is virtually a pre-requisite.

> In the good old days, everybody got a fixed ip by default, and some
> euro's extra you got four or eight addrresses. Now you are lucky to
> get one fixed address.

There are still some providers who dish out a fixed address, but they're
a rapidly dying species.  But if you pay for it, you can have almost
anything you want.

> The only obstacles currently, are the ISP's.
> afaik, all dsl-modems currently can only work with v4.
> (correct me if i'm wrong)

I think my Cisco 836 does IPV6, but otherwiser I think you're right.
But that really means it's the DSL modem manufacturers, not the ISPs
that are holding things back still.

/Per Jessen, Zürich