[asterisk-users] RE: OT (a little): IPV6 Ramifications Article

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Thu Apr 19 14:31:05 MST 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 17:11 -0400, Dean Collins wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I know it’s a little off topic but……Wondering if you can help.
> My wife has been asked to find a writer to produce a story on “The
> dramatic ramifications of IPV6 on commercial businesses and how it
> will change the product designs for ordinary household/commercial use
> in a 5-10 year time frame”

Ordinary household equipment
Fridge (sending snmp traps if a dork leaves the door open ;)
radio/tv/vcr (obviously)
central heating system
airco
security

> So her company hired someone who should have been able to deliver the
> goods (ex magazine editor – maybe a little too ‘ex’….)
>

> He has come back with the story angle that is boring (and just plain
> wrong) that says;
>

> IPV6 is a big cost to companies like the Y2k bug was.
afaik, all modern equipment supports v6

> That it will stop spam (hmmm Cringley you have a lot to answer for)
(some people probably wont't get it working, so they will be off the
Net ;)

> -         That Asia is leading the way but we can ignore it as the USA
> have many many IPV4 addresses to use for the future.
(sleep well)

> So now my wife has egg on her face and her boss thinks that IPV6 is of
> no interest to anyone in their customers companies, apart from the CIO
> who needs to implement it, when I’m telling her that there are
> dramatic applications; eg.
>

> -         That Ford needs to consider how your car having an IP
> addresses changes the way they should be building cars (oh and the
> streetlights have one as well).
>
> -         That Sharp needs to consider what your TV having an IP
> address means (and your set top box and your front door bell as well)
>
> -         That Verizon needs to consider what every mobile phone
> having an IP address means (and your desk phone and your office phone)
>
> -         That Chase needs to consider what IPV6 means to your wallet,
> the ATM and the POS cash registers.

I don't think that for john doe much will change (v4 => v6)
All unices support v6, and even vista has it (unlike previous products,
IPv6 is ON by default and can not be turned off ;)

In the good old days, everybody got a fixed ip by default, and some
euro's extra you got four or eight addrresses. Now you are lucky to get
one fixed address. Natting is very nice, but you're out-of-luck when
dealing with multiple ssl-sites (forward/backward name-resolving breaks
it)
All those troubles are over with v6

Best part however, is the build-in support for vpn, native encryption.
And QoS, which seems to be very nice for seperation voip-traffic from
torrent-traffic.

The only obstacles currently, are the ISP's.
afaik, all dsl-modems currently can only work with v4.
(correct me if i'm wrong)

Only option currently is: tunnelbroker.net

Perhaps if we actually get directly fibre or ethernet to our home,
ipv6 will get mainstream.

hw
(Well, if * would support it, without any extra patches, would help)

--
pgp-id: 926EBB12
pgp-fingerprint: BE97 1CBF FAC4 236C 4A73  F76E EDFC D032 926E BB12