[asterisk-users] Hardware suggestions for 8-10 lines in the UK

Chris Bagnall lists at minotaur.cc
Thu Apr 19 10:24:41 MST 2007

> However, my experience hasn't been that VoiP is as reliable
> as copper lines and so unless you can tolerate the odd outage once per
> month or two then you might want to stick to copper for the main
> carrier?  Does this match with the experience from others?

Until recently, I'd have agreed entirely with this statement. However, recently one of our clients (in a shopping centre) encountered a scenario where a contractor had chopped through a load of PSTN lines whilst enlarging the car park. Their calls were routed via an ADSL connection which came in on an alternate location. For the better part of a week, they were the only shop in the building able to make & receive calls.

By having two independent net connections plus a "true" PSTN backup you've got 3 levels of redundancy. Short of spending a fortune on "guaranteed fix times" from the telco, you're unlikely to do much better than that.

Regards,

Chris
For full contact details visit http://www.minotaur.it/chris.html