[asterisk-users] RE: OT (a little): IPV6 Ramifications Article

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Thu Apr 19 02:24:18 MST 2007

Putting my Westhawk Ltd protocol consultancy hat on.....

Due to old age and good luck, westhawk as a full class C (256 ipv4
addresses)
so all our machines have routable adresses, putting us in a similar
position to
the way the rest of you would be when/if v6 takes off.

This is quite relevant to this list because people are working to add
ipv6 support
to asterisk, and as such the community needs to be up-to-speed on the
benefits/drawbacks.

On 19 Apr 2007, at 05:39, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> Hi
>
> To be slightly less off-topic:

...snip...

>> -          IPV6 is a big cost to companies like the Y2k bug was.
>>
>> -          That it will stop spam (hmmm Cringley you have a lot to
>> answer for)
>
> Why is that?

Theoretically it would give you traceability of the original sender
of the spam,
down to which doorknob.
Of course all that really tells you is which doorknob has a virus.

>> -          That Asia is leading the way but we can ignore it as
>> the USA
>> have many many IPV4 addresses to use for the future.
>>

> If you have no shortage of IP addresses in the US, then why is it that
> when you want to set up a home IP address you have a use a NAT router
> (of some sort: be that a device or a software on a computer)? This
> means
> that peer-to-peer protocols don't Just Work [tm].
>
> We all know that SIP is generally broken in the presense of NAT and
> how
> multimple partial workarounds have been found.
>
> Any VoIP call between two ANT-ed clients will required a proxy outside
> the NAT. Hence more delay and more complicated setup.

That's the theory, but if you remove the NAT router, you have to put
an equally extensive firewall in place - probably stricter because
all the
devices in your network are now routable. SIP/RTP 's bad design makes it
very hard to firewall well without running a full proxy in the router.
(Ok, at least you don't need STUN if you have ipv6).

So you still have to mess with the (more complex because v6 is
tricky) firewall
to let the right RTP/SIP packets in.

> And less on-topic:
>
> See if you can find anything interesting under http://laptop.org/ /
> http://wiki.laptop.org/ . They use ipv6 as part as their effort to
> create a set of computers that are always connected. The mesh
> networking
> infrastructure there is interesting.

Now that's a problem worth solving , retaining your IP address
irrespective
of how/where your handset is connected. v6 helps, but not much.

Tim Panton

www.westhawk.co.uk/