[asterisk-users] RE: OT (a little): IPV6 Ramifications Article

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Apr 18 21:39:39 MST 2007

Hi

To be slightly less off-topic:

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 05:11:37PM -0400, Dean Collins wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I know it's a little off topic but......Wondering if you can help.
>

> My wife has been asked to find a writer to produce a story on "The
> dramatic ramifications of IPV6 on commercial businesses and how it will
> change the product designs for ordinary household/commercial use in a
> 5-10 year time frame"
>

> So her company hired someone who should have been able to deliver the
> goods (ex magazine editor - maybe a little too 'ex'....)
>

> He has come back with the story angle that is boring (and just plain
> wrong) that says;
>

> -          IPV6 is a big cost to companies like the Y2k bug was.
>
> -          That it will stop spam (hmmm Cringley you have a lot to
> answer for)

Why is that?

> -          That Asia is leading the way but we can ignore it as the USA
> have many many IPV4 addresses to use for the future.

If you have no shortage of IP addresses in the US, then why is it that
when you want to set up a home IP address you have a use a NAT router
(of some sort: be that a device or a software on a computer)? This means
that peer-to-peer protocols don't Just Work [tm].

We all know that SIP is generally broken in the presense of NAT and how
multimple partial workarounds have been found.

Any VoIP call between two ANT-ed clients will required a proxy outside
the NAT. Hence more delay and more complicated setup.

And less on-topic:

See if you can find anything interesting under http://laptop.org/ /
http://wiki.laptop.org/ . They use ipv6 as part as their effort to
create a set of computers that are always connected. The mesh networking
infrastructure there is interesting.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org