[asterisk-users] Feedback on Linksys SPA-921 and GrandStream GXP-2000

Theo Band theo.band at xanadu-wireless.com
Wed Apr 18 04:33:23 MST 2007

Gilles Ganault wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm about to order a GrandStream GXP-2000 and a Linksys SPA-921
>
> I'd like to have some user feedback about how those phones perform,
> and whether their LCD screen displays both the caller ID name and
> number (The GrandStream BT-100 only displays numbers, which isn't very
> helpful).

I both have the BT-100 and the SPA-921.
The BT-100 displays caller name or number. Since the display is made of
7 segment characters, text is hard to display. I noticed that some
characters are displayed where other are just ignored. This is not very
handy. If the callerid is specified with callernum like "callerid=name
<number>", then the number is only displayed (no name).

The SPA-921. Has a dot-matrix display so everything is displayed very
nicely.

Some points to consider for the BT-100:
  It does not have a phone book. It just remembers callers and called
numbers.
  The speaker quality for handsfree calling is just unacceptable (no
echo cancellation)
  The mute button works, but there is no feedback at all (led for
instance). So you have to ask the other party "can you hear me?" when
using the mute....

Some points to consider for the SPA-921:
  Very complex web interface (yes you have the freedom to tweak
everything, I prefer a simpler interface)
  I had problem with this phone were the called party could not hear me.
I had to fix the codec in the phone to ulaw to get it working. (In
asterisk I have an disallow=all, allow=alaw, allow=ulaw setup but this
does not seem to work for this phone).
  The display has no backlight (no problem in an office environment, but
the BT-100 looks better in that respect)

The users of both phones are very satisfied (good sound quality). Both
give a clear indication for message waiting for instance. I plan to buy
more SPA-921 because of the before mentioned reasons.

Theo