[asterisk-users] No Incoming Ring Tone (Even with "r" option)

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Tue Apr 17 21:40:00 MST 2007

Brian Rogan wrote:
> I am using an incoming iax provider to bring calls to my server.  When
> an incoming call comes in, the calling party does not hear a ring
> tone.  I figured that this was no big deal, and that I just needed to
> enable the "r" flag to dial.  This has not fixed the situation though.
> Just to try to make sure the line was being picked up properly, I
> tried the following:
>
> [inbound]
> exten => number,1,Answer
> exten => number,n,Background(vm-goodbye)
> exten => number,n,Dial(SIP/bdesktop,60,tr)
> exten => number,n,Hangup
>
> In this case, the caller hears the vm-goodbye message, and then
> silence (while the phone actually does ring).
>
> Does anyone know why the "r" option might not be working?  The
> incoming channel is iax, and obviously the phone terminating the call
> is Sip.

If you don't hear the default ringback then "r" almost never fixes it.
Before a call is answered Asterisk uses "out of band" signaling and
sends back a message to the device and the device provides the ringback
tone.

Once a call is answered OOB signaling doesn't work so Asterisk has to
play the audio of a ringback tone to the caller.

Asterisk figures out what the exact tones should be sending by looking
at /etc/asterisk/indications.conf.  If you do not have that file
(there's an indications.conf.sample in /path/to/src/asterisk/configs)
then Asterisk won't know what to send back.

I recommend that you remove the "r" option, remove the Answer line,
create an indications.con (the sample one seems to work just fine), and
use Playback -- since you are not actually waiting for any DTMF, and add
the |noanswer option.

Example:
   exten => number,n,Playback(vm-goodbye|noanswer)