[asterisk-users] Re: New T1 Asterisk installation

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Mon Apr 16 09:02:40 MST 2007

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, David Cook wrote:

> Remember, you don't need to activate all 23 lines so if you just need 15
> then you can activate only that number. You also can have potentially
> hundreds of numbers that terminate on this group of lines. This makes
> some of your coding a little different because you no longer make an
> association between which port(s) ring and what number the caller
> dialed to get here.
>
> This is called DNIS (Dialed Number Identification System) (people don't
> flame me for the ANI/DNIS thing OK? Not relevant for this discussion).

Not a flame :)

I think you are referring to DNIS vs DNID.

DNIS (Dialed Number Identification Service) is the number the caller
dialed. ANI (Automatic Number Identification) is the number the caller
called from.

PRI can also deliver ANI2 (aka Info Digits) which can (if the ANI provider
configured it) tell you what type of service the ANI came from --
hospital, hotel, prison, cell, etc.

I've never gotten ANI2 working, so if you have, please enlighten me :)

IMNSHO, PRI beats the !@#$ out of any other T1 flavor.

Thanks in advance,