[asterisk-users] agents and music on hold with autoanswer..

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Mon Apr 16 07:31:43 MST 2007

If you want to be able to run accurate reporting, you should tell the
agents that they must log out whenever they are unavailable to answer
calls.  If accurate reporting is something you may be interested in
doing in the future, then make this the rule now.

Autoanswering queues is great for productivity.  There are ways to
implement an auto-logout due to inactivity if you want to continue using
this strategy.  I always thought if there were a reverse "answering
machine detection" type of application, where if there is silence on the
agent's leg of the call, the system would log them out, this would be
ideal.  I just never got around to making that happen.

What I have used is that if there is no activity on the workstation,
similar to a screensaver kicking in, the user is logged out of queue.

In the environments that I have worked in that dealt with queues and
agents, they are a sneaky bunch.  Strict rules must be defined and
enforced.  I have seen operations where no policing of agents resulted
in agents calling their friends all day and collecting a paycheck at the
end of the pay period.  I have also seen them use every possible
technique to be logged in but not have to receive calls.  If it is
possible, they will figure it out.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro
http://www.asteriskhelpdesk.com