[asterisk-users] Which SIP phones to buy?

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Sun Apr 15 18:32:37 MST 2007

Hi:

Salvatore Giudice wrote:
> Product selection is not cut and dry. What are your business requirements?
>
> So you need encryption? If so, what kind?

No.

> Do they need support for outbound proxies?

No.

> Are you going to use the same model for remote deployments?

Yes.

> Do you need WAP capabilities?

No.

> Do you need programmable speed dials?

Yes.

> Do you need modular admin sidecars?

Maybe.

> Do you need IPSEC capabilities built into the handset?

No.

> Do you need advanced/specific codec support?

Wideband (I think that's G.729) is a "nice-to-have".

> Do you need guaranteed interoperability with specific vendor supplied
> components?

Not at the moment. (No)

> Are you looking for a phone for 10 people, 100 people, or 10000 people? If
> you are scaling, what does your provisioning system look like?

10 - 250; TFTP or FTP-based provisioning.

> Do you need phone features like video or quality speaker phone?

Quality speaker phone. No demand for video.

> What is your budget for phones?

up to 300 CAD per unit, preferably around 200 CAD

> Do you need an RTCP capable handset?

If I knew what that was... :)

> Do you need a handset that support 802.11p for QoS?

No.

Will that help narrow things down?

-Stephen-