[asterisk-users] DISABLE 9?

Matt mhoppes at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 04:15:00 MST 2007

Have you never run into a situation where you dial +15705551212 for a
number, but also have an extention of 157 or something?   The 9 is legacy,
yes, but still important, in my opinion, to segregate the networks.   You
know that anything starting with a 9 is going to go outbound, and all of
your extentions are then 1xx-8xx.  9anything is reserved for going to the
PSTN.  Otherwise, you are either going to have to have your callers dial
1areacode for everything (and then have your extentions 2xx-9xx), that is
they can't just dial 5551212, which is a pain, or you are going to have
overlap.

The 9 may be legacy, but it is somewhat important!