[asterisk-users] Hardware requirements question

Michael Graves dickson at covad.net
Fri Apr 13 15:32:04 MST 2007

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:07:54 -0500, Ryan Stille wrote:

>I've read through the Wiki, I know its hard to nail down hardware
>requirements because it really depends on what you are going to do.  I'm
>very new to Asterisk, haven't even read my Asterisk for Dummies book yet
>(its in the mail).

>Can you tell me if this sounds sane?  We are planning on using a Dell
>933Mhz dual CPU server, with 1GB of ram for our Trixbox setup.  We will
>have 7-10 internal phones, and maybe 3-4 max outbound connections at a
>time.  We will have some type of menu system for inbound callers.  At
>this point I'm planning on connecting to a SIP provider over the
>internet for service.  Do you think the hardware is adequate?  If
>there's a chance its not enough horsepower I want to find a different
>server.

>Thanks much,
>-Ryan

This will serve your needs very well. I have a comparable installation running on mush lesser hardware; H-P T5700 Thin Client (aka 1 GHz Crusoe processor, 256 MB RAM, no HD) Of
course I don't use Trixbox, I use Astlinux so that my "server" is more like an appliance.

The largest issue your face will be mating an FXO card with the server. Some are very sensitive to PCI/IRQ issues.

Michael