[asterisk-users] Re: Which SIP phones...

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Thu Apr 12 18:08:41 MST 2007

Victor Hoodicoff wrote:

> I think your impressions of Aastra are outdated.  Install the latest
> firmware, download the latest documentation and test and THEN give an
> opinion!

Did you miss the part when I wrote I have Asstras sitting on my desk
collecting dust. I program on average about 5 per month, deal with
about 40+ per day. They're as impressive as that Hyundai in the lot
next to the Aston Martins.

> I totally agree about the Cisco and Grandstream.  People like to think the
> Cisco are great because they paid too much for them.  People want to like
> the Grandstream because they are so cheap.  I have no interest in dealing
> with Polycoms unwillingness to support Asterisk.

Cisco is overrated. Grandstream... You get what you pay for. I don't know
who you deal with I have direct contacts with Polycoms to get what I want
when I need it.

Anyhow after doing a sip show peers and saving it to a file called UA
here is a summary from 2 servers I have to deal with on a daily basis...
This doesn't include others, these are my main two headaches...

The files UA are nothing more than more or less:
asterisk -rx "sip show peers"|awk -F "/" '{print $1}'|grep -v "\.\|[a-z-]"|uniq > UA

(Server 1 of 3. Each w/about 175-200 peers)
184 sip peers [139 online , 45 offline]
[root at xxxx1 ~]# grep -ic snom UA
93
[root at xxxx1 ~]# grep -ic polycom UA
43
[root at xxxx1 ~]# grep -ic grandstream UA
3

(Server 1 of 3. Each w/ 150-75 peers using DRBD between servers)
74 sip peers [164 online , 10 offline]
Verbosity is at least 10
xxx-1:~# grep -ic cisco UA
59
xxx-1:~# grep -ic poly UA
105

I can show another server with nothing but Snom's but I rarely
need to configure anything there...

Of these two PBX's... I get less calls about the Snoms with the
exception of Daylight Savings Time... Polycom is the most
problematic followed by Cisco... Aastra's... Most people that
buy those are usually a SoHo business who want maybe one or
two.

--
J. Oquendo

"How a man plays the game shows something of his
character - how he loses shows all" - Mr. Luckey