[asterisk-users] What is your Backup Strategy?

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 17:16:14 MST 2007

On 4/11/07, Forrest Beck <jonforrest.beck at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2)  Have two servers with the same dialplan.  One in each location.
> Each server has it's own TDM cards installed. Phones on Site A will
> register with the server on Site A, and phones on Site B will register
> with the server on Site B. Then using Polycom phones, they will
> failover to using the server not on their site, if their primary isn't
> available.  I have setup scripts to copy the dialplan from one server
> to the other then reload asterisk nightly.  The biggest Con to this is
> I have to be sure my dialplans don't get different.  The user's
> voicemail wouldn't be available until their primary server is back up,
> but that's OK.

Now you said you had two machines with the same dialplans. What
happens when you go into fail over an someone leaves a voice message
and it gets stuck on the other server?

I think the key here is to treat functions as a cluster. IVRs,
voicemail, phone calls, etc you need to have a redundant solution for
each, not just a spare or redundant asterisk server.

Then again you could be working on a small scale project where what I
describe its not really important.