[asterisk-users] wideband codec support

Steve Totaro stevetotaro at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 11 09:06:41 MST 2007

Peer 2 Peer SIP (or other protocol) is the future of telephony.

Speex will work but you need to compile and install it separately from
Asterisk (and before Asterisk) due to licensing issues with Digium.  Not
sure why you would want to use speex but here is a good link on the wiki
with additional info.
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+config+codecs.conf

I have only used it for very low bandwidth applications and satellite
connections.  It increased latency but the audio was almost perfect
where other codecs broke up so badly that a conversation was impossible.

Thanks,
Steve