[asterisk-users] Verizon-Vonage Lawsuit

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Wed Apr 11 07:34:41 MST 2007

Christopher Chan wrote:

>> Thanks for the answer.  I've never heard that one before.
>>
>> I remember once I used a 3rd party component set (Indy 9) to do some
>> smtp alert emails from a Windows application.  Couldn't get the mails
>> to go through for a few particular customers and after some research
>> and talking to ISP's, we found out that the component set that I used
>> was used to write spamming software and the headers produced by the
>> component set were flagged by spamm assasin and others.  Arg.
>>

> Mail admins usually treat non-MTA software that send email as highly
> potential sources of spam. In your case, a whitelisting arrangement
> would take care of the problem or whatever arrangement they may have.

We simply switched component sets to fix the problem.  Pity since Indy
is a Wonderful suite of components.

> Properly managed ISP's/domains will have a reachable contact at
> postmaster at ISP/domain.
>
> The third party component set you mentioned...is it the original of
> indyproject.org too?

Yeah, Indy 9 from Indy Project.  I've since moved over to Synapse
because I am doing a lot of work with Lazarus/Freepascal now and Synapse
works great with both Delphi and Freepascal.

> The Indy 9 component most probably got itself into blacklists because of
> the IntraWeb framework, which most probably uses Indy 9 for smtp, has
> inadequate measures against abuse and the Indy 9 component creates an
> easily identifiable header.

I'm not sure that Intraweb has an included smtp interface, but I am
almost certain Indy was used as the underlying technology or at least
the basis of.  I have a Intraweb license (v. 6/7?) actually, but haven't
used it much since I started with ASP.net in .net/mono and C#/Chrome.
Personally, I'm excited about Delphi for PHP coming out.

But now I stray off topic...

--

Warm Regards,

Lee