[asterisk-users] Re: Play audio and continue to next priority before audio ends...

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Apr 11 05:29:46 MST 2007

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Tony Mountifield wrote:

> Alejandro Mejía <noc at carmeltelecom.com> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to know how to playback an audio file to the caller, and while
>> it's played asterisk to continue executing the next priorities on
>> extensions.conf
>> That's not the case when using "playback" command, because the next priority
>> is executed until the audio file ends playing. I want to evaluate some
>> variables while caller hears the audio file.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Look at the Background() application. It does just what you are asking for.
>
> I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned this.

Are you sure it does that?

I'm under the impression that it waits until the sound(s) have finished
playing before moving on to the next priority. (While "listening" for
digits to be pushed, then be dialled)

   -= Info about application 'BackGround' =-

[Synopsis]
Play a file while awaiting extension

[Description]
   Background(filename1[&filename2...][|options[|langoverride][|context]]):

This application will play the given list of files while waiting for an
extension to be dialed by the calling channel. To continue waiting for
digits after this application has finished playing files, the WaitExten
application should be used. The 'langoverride' option explicity specifies
which language to attempt to use for the requested sound files. If a
'context' is specified, this is the dialplan context that this application
will use when exiting to a dialed extension.  If one of the requested
sound files does not exist, call processing will be terminated.

Gordon