[asterisk-users] Re: Play audio and continue to next priority before audio ends...

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Wed Apr 11 05:27:12 MST 2007

Tony Mountifield wrote:
> Alejandro Mejía <noc at carmeltelecom.com> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to know how to playback an audio file to the caller, and while
>> it's played asterisk to continue executing the next priorities on
>> extensions.conf
>> That's not the case when using "playback" command, because the next priority
>> is executed until the audio file ends playing. I want to evaluate some
>> variables while caller hears the audio file.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Look at the Background() application. It does just what you are asking for.
>
> I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned this.

I suspect because Background does not execute the following priorities
until it has finished playing the file.  The original poster said that
he/she wanted to "continue executing the next priorities" while the
audio file was paying.  Background does not continue to execute
priorities while it is playing the file.