[asterisk-users] Verizon-Vonage Lawsuit

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Tue Apr 10 10:05:20 MST 2007

> Salvatore Giudice wrote:
> > Take a look at this patent:
> > http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20060098624.html
> >

> > Title: Using session initiation protocol
> > Document Type and Number:United States Patent 20060098624
> > Inventors:
> > Morgan, David P. (Lexington, MA, US)
> > Sullivan, Daniel B. (Charlestown, MA, US)
> > Erickson, Jon A. (Scituate, MA, US)
> > Giudice, Salvatore R. (Charlestown, MA, US)
> >
> > This is the kind of stuff that goes on in corporate America when it
> comes to
> > new technology and patent law. =)
>
> Holy cow.
>
> -Stephen-

You ain't kidding!!!

Next thing you know someone will try to patent this: "User picks up
communications unit human interface device, a.k.a. 'handset', in
response to audible ringing indication (visual 'ring' indication is
optional)."

Just when I thought I couldn't have a lower expectation for a government
agency - here comes the USPTO.  Monumental foolishness.

-MC

P.S. - in broader terms, are there any of these patents that threaten
FOSS telephony projects?