[asterisk-users] Asterisk without PSTN interface cards

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Apr 10 07:25:49 MST 2007

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Alejandro Cabrera Obed wrote:

> People, I will install asterisk on my Debian Etch box without a PSTN
> interface card. I want to use only softphones for the moment.
> My question are:
>
> 1) Is it enough to install with "apt-get" the asterisk 1.2 or do I have
> to get asterisk 1.4 manually ???
>
> 2) Do I have to configure a dummy PSTN interface in my case ??
>
> And if you have a debian-asterisk howto, I really thank you.

I run Debian servers. I also run Asterisk on them.

In my case, I do not use the supplied Debian packags, but prefer to
compile my own. That way I get the version of asterisk that I want with
the config files where I want them (which oddly enough are as per the
asterisk documentation)

You only need a timing interface for some operations - MeetMe and possibly
Music On Hold springs to mind, in which case, the ztdummy module will
probably be sufficient for your needs.

Gordon