[asterisk-users] Asterisk without PSTN interface cards

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Apr 10 07:20:06 MST 2007

Alejandro,

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Alejandro Cabrera Obed said something to this effect:

> 1) Is it enough to install with "apt-get" the asterisk 1.2 or do I have
> to get asterisk 1.4 manually ???

   I am not sure if the debian release yet contains 1.4.x.  It may be safer
to compile from source if you want the bleeding-edge version.  But 1.2.x
works quite well, too, so it's really up to you.  I prefer 1.4.x personally
at this point, now that it's been hanging out there for a while.

> 2) Do I have to configure a dummy PSTN interface in my case ??

   I am not sure exactly what you mean by dummy PSTN interface, but in
principle, the answer is no.  However, there are situations in which it
may benefit you to have a Digium-derived card in the machine so that the
RTC (real-time clock) on it can be used for driving the intervals of
hold music, conference calling (MeetMe), etc.  But there is also a
"ztdummy" module that can be loaded into the kernel which emulates such
an RTC.

   So, if your intent is purely to use SIP internally, no need for any PSTN.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov <sasha at presidium.org>