[asterisk-users] Vonage fraud controls

Kenneth Padgett kenneth.padgett at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 20:58:30 MST 2007

> Has anyone tried pushing calls to a Vonage ATA attached to an FXO card in
> Asterisk and had your account terminated by Vonage?
>
> I'm curious as to whether they will stop your service if you push too many
> calls through their ATA in a specific period of time.
>
> Thanks in advance for the info, SG

I knew a guy that used two Vonage lines with fax modems attached to
them and pumped "Free" internet email to Fax services through them. As
much as 2000 calls a week per line. It took Vonage many months to
catch on, and they figured out it was a fax service (presumably by
googling or calling the numbers being dialed) . All Vonage did was
force him to upgrade to "Unlimited Business" service on both lines.
They where nasty about it via email, such as "mass faxing is against
our TOS" etc, but they didn't cut his service. Then again, this was a
couple years ago, they may be tougher on it now that they have more
subscribers.

On a side note, faxing over Vonage sucks and is unreliable. Nice voice
service as far as I'm concerned though.

-Kenneth