[asterisk-users] How well does a celldock work with Asterisk?

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Mon Apr 9 08:52:54 MST 2007

Joe Acquisto wrote:
> . . .
>> I have a Dock-n-Talk at home I use to connect my motorola V60i via
>> a cable so I can't comment on bluetooth. I needed it because for
>> some reason I can only get good cell reception in my bedroom. It
>> works well enough. You can certainly tell you are talking over a
>> cell connection and not a POTS line (it's a little noisier) and now
>> and then I have slight echo. Caller ID is passed through (number
>> only) as well. All in all I'm happy with the purchase.
>>
>> -Dave
>
> Can't be worse than my POTS lines.   The cable runs here are about 30
> years old, and run underground, supposedly, where crossing a
> government right of way.   This run is ancient, as well.
> Supposedly, during wet weather, this becomes a grounding problem.
> Certainly the audio quality deteriorates to the point of being almost
> unusable, during inclement weather and clears up when dry.

The cable sleeve is probably breached and I'll bet the waterproofing
jelly has leaked out. If, along with that, you have any cracked
insulation on the individual conductors, the results are predictable.
This is a common problem on older runs.

Sometimes it's just a matter of finding a clean pair in the cable. Have
you tried asking Verizon to fix the problem?

In these parts, Telus (incidentally, 33% owned by Verizon) will try
switching pairs in a segment if you cajole them, and that will sometimes
solve it.

(Either that or there's a water-logged pedestal somewhere)

-Stephen-