[asterisk-users] Verizon-Vonage Lawsuit

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Sat Apr 7 15:02:36 MST 2007

Stephen Bosch wrote:
> Jay Milk wrote:
>
>> That last point could be quite a big one against VZ -- Vonage is gaining
>> customers not because they stole Verizon's doubtful IP, but because they
>> offer a better deal.  In my area, Vonage is cheaper than a Verizon
>> dialtone alone -- and I'd still pay for each outgoing call if I had
>> Verizon.
>> That said, this is going to be interesting to watch for all us asterisk
>> users.  If Vonage loses this one, VZ is going to go after the next VOIP
>> provider... and sooner or later, anti-trust regulation will kick in.
>>

> You hope.
>
> The last twenty years in the United States has seen a steady erosion in
> anti-trust legislation.
>
> As for Vonage, the honeymoon is over in these parts. I know a few
> enthusiastic early adopters who are fed up with the poor call quality;
> one out of three times they call me I hear totally unintelligible
> buzzing or warbling. They're switching back to analog lines now.
> (There's a business I know that's on Vonage, but I haven't spoken to
> them for a few months, so I don't know how they're doing.)
>
> The lack of network-wide QoS will ultimately prevent VoIP from usurping
> the PSTN.
>
> -Stephen-
 From my experience with Vonage, the problem is the PSTN interface in
certain locations
Vonage to Vonage is quite good, not quite as good as Asterisk to
Asterisk, but certainly quite acceptable.
Where it falls down is in certain locations back to the PSTN
This seems true also with others, such as Stanaphone and sipphone as well
We also have a pretty good ISP with Commiecast

John Novack