[asterisk-users] Verizon-Vonage Lawsuit

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Sat Apr 7 13:21:27 MST 2007

Jay Milk wrote:
> That last point could be quite a big one against VZ -- Vonage is gaining
> customers not because they stole Verizon's doubtful IP, but because they
> offer a better deal.  In my area, Vonage is cheaper than a Verizon
> dialtone alone -- and I'd still pay for each outgoing call if I had
> Verizon.
> That said, this is going to be interesting to watch for all us asterisk
> users.  If Vonage loses this one, VZ is going to go after the next VOIP
> provider... and sooner or later, anti-trust regulation will kick in.

You hope.

The last twenty years in the United States has seen a steady erosion in
anti-trust legislation.

As for Vonage, the honeymoon is over in these parts. I know a few
enthusiastic early adopters who are fed up with the poor call quality;
one out of three times they call me I hear totally unintelligible
buzzing or warbling. They're switching back to analog lines now.
(There's a business I know that's on Vonage, but I haven't spoken to
them for a few months, so I don't know how they're doing.)

The lack of network-wide QoS will ultimately prevent VoIP from usurping
the PSTN.

-Stephen-