[asterisk-users] Poor analog line quality, wireless "base station", FAX-ing

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 19:32:19 MST 2007

On 4/6/07, Joe Acquisto <joea at j4computers.com> wrote:
> While pondering several issues, poor quality PSTN POTS lines, potential cost savings with multiple cell numbers, the FAX problems over TDM400p, etc, I wondered about:

Poor quality POTS lines and fax problems do seem to be related. The
added latency and potential of jitter and dropped frames doesn't do
too much to help.

> Cell phone "Base stations" to replace POTS lines.  Devices to "cradle" cell phones and connect to TDM400p, for instance, to mimic PSTN.  Are there such beasts, how do they play with asterisk?

I've never had any luck with FXO with analog lines, much less with
anything that wasn't a real PSTN line, problems with hangup detection
and such.

> Will FAX work over such connectivity?

No but if you only wish to fax you can connect a data cable and send
it AT commands to transmit a fax.