[asterisk-users] HPEC audio clipping

Michael Boers michaelscotttech at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 22:55:25 MST 2007

I have recently moved an asterisk system to a new location.  This location
is experiencing terrible echo.  I installed the HPEC from Digium but that
has caused a new problem.

When HPEC is enabled and more that 16 taps are used, the audio from the
outside caller gets clipped.  Instead of hearing:

Hello, my name is Mike

one hears

He  o, m  ame    ike

If the taps are set to less than 16, there is no clipping, but there is
significant echo.

I don't know if this is relevant, but asterisk does report "No Zaptel
transcoder support" on startup.

I am at my wits end; any advice would be greatly appreciated.  My setup
follows:

Hardware, AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+, 512MB ram, 2 TDM400p with a
total of 5 fxo channels, snom 320 phones

OS: gentoo 2006.1 amd64

Software:
Asterisk 1.2.17 and Zaptel 1.2.16 (fxotune does not seem to work in this
configuration)

Also tried

Asterisk 1.4.2 and Zaptel 1.4.1 (fxotune does work, but doesn't seem to help
in this configuration)