[asterisk-users] Building the Perfect Box

Brandon Galbraith brandon.galbraith at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 09:14:08 MST 2006

On 9/30/06, Tim Panton <tim at mexuar.com> wrote:

> Just to amplify this point. I've tried to claim on an SLA. Our
> internet connection was down for a week due to a fire in
> BT's exchange. My provider  refused to do
> anything (despite the premium SLA) on the basis that
> fires weren't covered. I switched providers to a cheaper one
> who didn't pretend to offer uptime :-)

While an SLA is nice on paper, if your connection is
business/mission-critical, always always always do redundancy yourself. Just
having two connections from seperate providers is nice, multi-homing with
two providers and having automatic failover is better (although this mostly
applies to larger shops where having the phones/internet out per minute
costs thousands of dollars/euros/etc.).

-brandon