[asterisk-users] t1-pri or sip trunk?

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Sat Sep 30 04:04:11 MST 2006

On 29 Sep 2006, at 05:03, stan ford wrote:

> if you have to setup an office of 100 users now. would you rather
> setup a sip trunk,a t1-pri, or even a t1? and why?

Both. Get a t1-pri - this will give you high uptime, high quality
calls and all the rest.
Then sign up with a couple of SIP (or IAX) providers and use them for
cheaper
international calls and to provide some extra capacity (100 users
could fill
your t1). Make sure your dialplan fails over to the PRI when your IAX
providers
are both down or your internet dies.

The additional cost/hassle of doing both is quite small and it gives you
more flexibility.

Try and buy your T1 from someone other than your ISP.
Otherwise when they go dark you lose _everything_.
We had an incedent a year or two back when BT had a fire in the local
exchange
cable duct. The only thing working in  the building (actually half
the city)
was my NTL E1 delivered over glass! (Mobile network got busy too !)

If you have to chose go for PRI.

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.com