[asterisk-users] Cisco CAll Manger and H323

Greg Oliver greg.oliver at cistera.com
Fri Sep 29 20:34:41 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-29 at 20:26 -0700, Dan Austin wrote:
> Greg wrote:
> > 4.1.3 supports SIP trunks - I would HIGHLY recommend you move to that.
> > Anything over 4.0 supports SIP trunking.
>
> While it is true that CCM 4.0 and up supports SIP trunking, it is not
> all rainbows an butterflies.  The 4.X series implimentation of SIP
> requires a MTP, as the SCCP endpoints do not support standards based
> DTMF.  Additionally only ulaw is supported.
>
> In 5.X the SCCP endpoints now support RFC2833, but if you have Unity
> or IOS gateways, switching everything to SIP is not trivial.  So for
> some implimentations a decent H323 channel driver is still the best
> option for integration.

That is true, but the CCM itself is an MTP as long as you start the MoH
or Media Streaming services on it..

I will say that I have not tried the 323 channels in a while (about 8
months or so), but once we switched to SIP, we have had zero issues
whereas before, every 2-3 weeks, * would hiccup requiring a restart..

Our CCM phones are all Skinny since we develop products for CCM - only
using * for vmail, meetme, IVR, etc..  All of our remote (all Cisco)
phones use SIP connected directly to *..

5.x CCM is much more SIP capable moreso than just the phones, but Cisco
has once again done it and sends all kinds of proprietary INVITES to
enable some more features on their phones..  Kinda dissapointing...  I
love the phones, but hate the company..

-Greg