[asterisk-users] WAS: 64 analog phones NOW: Selection criteria and recipie for a good Asterisk install [long]

Jeronimo Romero jromero at eusnetworks.com
Thu Sep 28 12:17:15 MST 2006

Has anyone tried RedFone?? It is supposed to offload a lot of that bus
overhead to the external unit doing TDMoE.

======================
Jeronimo Romero
EUS Networks
Email: jromero at euscorp.com
Cell: 917-332-7238
Office: 212-624-5943
Web: www.euscorp.com

Anderson(ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com)
> wrote
>  > >I concur with your approach, but "Tier 1" means as little here as
it
>  > >does when evaluating Internet backbone carriers.  could you expand
on
>  > >what evaluation criteria you use?  I'm going to be pre-speccing
some
>  > >stuff myself this month...
>  >
>  > Sorry I should have been more clear. A good Asterisk install needs
>  > holistic approach to use a hippy dippy phrase. A Tier 1 server,
which
> is a
>  > midrange to high end name brand server from the Big 3 (Dell,
HP/Compaq,
> IBM,
>  > am I missing someone?) is usually highly optimized for bus
bandwidth
>  > although that design was intended for a different use - usually
massive
> disk
>  > I/O. As well, a Tier 1 server will have two seperate, independent
PCI
> buses
>  > and this to me is a critical feature - it allows you to completely
> separate
>  > your TDM traffic from network, disk I/O etc. On my big production
> Netfinity,
>  > I took great care to ensure the Digium cards were all on their
lonesome
> on a
>  > single bus, and everything else on the other bus. This is how I can
run
> two
>  > TE110's in a single box with no problems. zttest does not give me
100%
> all
>  > the time, but on the other hand it *never* drops below 99.9987%,
even
> under
>  > load. I selected this Netfinity because of the obvious care put
into
> it's
>  > design, but the specs are unimpressive: quad Xeon 700's. CPU is
over
> rated
>  > for Asterisk, IMO unless you are doing tons of transcoding and if
you
> are
>  > doing that, then your design is flawed.
>  >
>  > Anyway, the holistic approach (to go on a small rant for the newbie
> lurkers)
>  > be summed up as follows:
>  >
>  > 1. Good box, see above
>  > 2. Good LAN - this is so critical and so often overlooked in the
day
> and age
>  > of guys crimping their own cables and running $150 switches. You
can't
> do
>  > that, and if you do, you do so at your own peril. Managed swiches,
>  > professional cable installation. This is not a problem for me since
> *am* a
>  > professional cable installer but I have actually witnessed people
> making
>  > patch cables with a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer!
>  > 3. Tuning of the LAN - VLAN's are good. QoS packets are good.
Switches
> that
>  > honor the QoS packets are good.
>  > 4. Handset selection - this is another biggie. I've selected Snom
> 360's, and
>  > yes they have warts, but they are feature rich for the price and
Snom
> is
>  > really good about revising firmware. When you select handsets, GET
YOUR