[asterisk-users] PRI Outbound CallerID Question

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Tue Sep 26 18:05:04 MST 2006

Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>> But gratuituously making easy something that very few people have a
>> legitimate need to do, which undermines something that -- even if you
>> do only make the resaonable assumption that you know which phone, and
>> not which person, is calling -- is useful and productive... is probably
>> a Bad Idea.  Full disclosure notwithstanding.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -- jra
>
> jra,
>
>     Sprint made the mistake.  That is ridiculous...
>
>     Caller ID has not been secure for a long time.  If you think that
> it should be made secure now, you are out of touch with reality
> because that is NOT going to happen.  It has been made easy.  It is
> ubiquitous.  Get over it :)!
>
>     The only options now are to not trust caller id, ask more
> questions (i.e. get better identity systems and processes in place),
> and, as I said, enforce laws that we already have.
>
>     I think you missed my point that setting caller id in a nefarious
> way is almost always used as a tool in an action that is already
> defined as a crime.  The things you are talking about doing are
> already illegal - whether or not you are spoofing caller id.  Granted,
> caller id does make it easier, but if we didn't have the ability to
> set caller id the crooks would still be scamming, harassing, etc just
> like they are now.  They would just be using other tools to do it or
> make it easier for them.
>
> --
> Kristian Kielhofner

I set caller ID to a unique identifier before sending to a transfer
partner or overflow call center.  This makes it much easier to match
CDRs and get stats on the outcome of calls once they leave our center.
It is a very valuable and legitimate use.  Am I committing a crime?  nah.

We use and trust ANI, not caller ID although I think I read you can
manipulate ANI if you have an SS7 link.  I have yet to play with SS7.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro