[asterisk-users] PRI Outbound CallerID Question

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Tue Sep 26 17:11:09 MST 2006

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> But gratuituously making easy something that very few people have a
> legitimate need to do, which undermines something that -- even if you
> do only make the resaonable assumption that you know which phone, and
> not which person, is calling -- is useful and productive... is probably
> a Bad Idea.  Full disclosure notwithstanding.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

jra,

	Sprint made the mistake.  That is ridiculous...

	Caller ID has not been secure for a long time.  If you think that it
should be made secure now, you are out of touch with reality because
that is NOT going to happen.  It has been made easy.  It is ubiquitous.
  Get over it :)!

	The only options now are to not trust caller id, ask more questions
(i.e. get better identity systems and processes in place), and, as I
said, enforce laws that we already have.

	I think you missed my point that setting caller id in a nefarious way
is almost always used as a tool in an action that is already defined as
a crime.  The things you are talking about doing are already illegal -
whether or not you are spoofing caller id.  Granted, caller id does make
it easier, but if we didn't have the ability to set caller id the crooks
would still be scamming, harassing, etc just like they are now.  They
would just be using other tools to do it or make it easier for them.

--
Kristian Kielhofner