[asterisk-users] Asterisk behind Sonicwall firewall

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Tue Sep 26 10:00:58 MST 2006

Barry Fawthrop wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Anyone using a sonicwall firewall ?
> I have been and then suddenly  it drops UDP packets because SIP is no
> longer on port 5060 but some random assigned port ?
>
> Why ?

Which Sonicwall model? Some (like the TZ170) have special VOIP settings,
like "Enable consistent NAT" and "Enable SIP Transformations". Check
those; they work well with SIP.

If you don't have one of these newer models, please see
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-IAX, in the "NAT Issues" section. It deals
with IAX2, but the issues are same for SIP UDP. The Sonicwall
UDP-connection-memory timeout may be VERY short - 30 seconds by default
on some! It is adjustable in some firmware versions.

I use the TZ170, but with IAX2 rather than SIP.

- Mike