[asterisk-users] fax over ip

Luki lugosoft at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 20:45:05 MST 2006

Christopher,

> Also, how am i supposed to get my fax machine onto my ethernet network? i
> assume it needs some kind of Aanalog Telephone Adapter, just like with VOIP.

You need a T.38 capable ATA. There are a few but not too many. I
believe the Grandstream ATAs have T.38 support or will have it
("Support transparent Fax pass-through and in the future T.38
(pending)"). The Linksys/Sipura 2100 can definitely do it -- it works
well for me :).

Then you need a T.38 capable ITSP. Some are listed on
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/VOIP+Service+Providers+T.38 but I
don't have experience with any other them.

T.38 pass-through support in Asterisk is available as a patch on the
bug tracker for 1.2. Not sure if it made it into the 1.4 beta version
or not, but on 1.2 it works OK for me.

--Luki