[asterisk-users] Leased line interconnect

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Sep 22 16:20:42 MST 2006

On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 08:22:18AM +1000, Eric Bishop wrote:
>    We are looking to interconnect 2 Asterisk boxes at seperate sites via a TDM
>    leased line, rather than IP mainly for commercial reasons. Our network
>    provider is offering us either a 31x64kbps leased line or an E1. Am I just
>    ignorant or are these the same thing? An E1 has 30 B channels and 1 D
>    channel. That is also I guess what we would run over the 31x64kbps leased
>    line so what is the difference? Which should I choose and would work best
>    with Asterisk.

My intuition is you're gonna spend a whole lot of extra money on
interface cards doing it that way.

An E-1 is a 32-timeslot circuit; usually broken up as 30B+1D+sync.

If you get it as unframed data, rather than a PRI, you can have all 31
slots to yourself, since you don't need one to talk to the switch.

You might want, if you can, to expand on your "commercial reasons".  If
you're getting a leased line, you can *still* put the appropriate
half-bridges on each end, and run IP over Ethernet over that line...
which would probably be cheaper than the T-cards.

Plus, I'm told that it's a Bad Idea to have multiple T-cards in one
chassis... though I can't imagine why...

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_