[asterisk-users] DSL router with integrated SIP proxy?

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Thu Sep 21 14:11:43 MST 2006

Does anyone here know of an ADSL router with integrated SIP proxy?

My requirement is for an expandable branch office. I want to be able to sit
multiple ATAs and/or VoIP phones on the LAN, and for them all to work to a
remote soft switch.

        --+-------+-------+-----------------------+--
          |       |       |                       |
         ATA     ATA     ATA  ...                DSL -----> DSL line
          |       |       |                    router
         _=_     _=_     _=_
         /O\     /O\     /O\

The DSL service has only a single IP address and hence each ATA is on a
private IP address, with NAT on the router. The branches aren't going to be
VPNed together.

My understanding is that in this architecture, I need a SIP proxy somewhere
on the LAN, right? (Or could I get away just with multiple UDP port
forwardings, with separate SIP and RTP ports for each phone?)

I see there are some solutions listed at
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/VOIP+Routers
under "Small NAT Routers with SIP Proxy", but as far as I can tell none of
them have integrated ADSL modems.

Having said that, following links to Intertex suggests that their IX68 range
may be just what I'm looking for.

Anybody have any experience with this box, or can suggest alternatives I
should be looking at?

Or should I just install a two box solution, a bog-standard DSL router and a
Linksys running OpenWrt + OpenSER, and port-forward the SIP traffic to the
OpenSER box?

All experience and advice welcomed :-)

Many thanks,

Brian Candler.

P.S. Sorry if this is off-topic because I didn't mention Asterisk. Let's
just assume that the remote soft-switch that these telephones are going to
talk to is Asterisk, OK? :-)