[asterisk-users] Using Asterisk with IVR connected with legacy pbxvia rs-232

Paulo Garcia paulo.astuser at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 06:54:51 MST 2006

Hi Cristian

thank you for your reply.

There are two main issues that I need to provide:

1 - Lights on/off when alerting for a new voicemail message.  I think I need
to develop some new exten application to allow me send rs-232 message to pbx
turns on/off the KS light. If someone has another approach , please, tell
me.

2 - Some pbx, when a user try to call a busy extensions (or no answer) he
will be transfer to another extension (connect in asterisk in this case) and
simultaneouly send a rs-232 message telling to voicemail which mailbox need
to be started. Asterisk need to receive this serial message, parse the
command and mailbox and then answer the extension, redirecting directly to
correct mailbox.

AFAIK, Asterisk doesn't have built in functions to support this kind of
operation then may be I need to create custom applications to do that. Is it
correct?

Thanks in advance!

Paulo