[asterisk-users] Configuring Codecs

Christopher Corn christopher_corn at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 20 23:59:34 MST 2006

This is what I did, i installed an the open source codec. but legally, your supposed to buy a license.

  1) download 723 and 729 codec
http://kvin.lv/pub/Linux/Asterisk/

2) copy both codecs to /usr/lib/asterisk/modules

3) restart asterisk
/etc/init.d/asterisk restart

4) verify its working. as long as 723 and 729 display numbers and not S, it's working

asterisk1*CLI> show translation
         Translation times between formats (in milliseconds)
          Source Format (Rows) Destination Format(Columns)

         g723   gsm  ulaw  alaw  g726 adpcm  slin lpc10  g729 speex  ilbc
   g723     -     2     2     2     3     2     1     3     8     -    12
    gsm     8     -     2     2     3     2     1     3     8     -    12
   ulaw     8     2     -     1     3     2     1     3     8     -    12
   alaw     8     2     1     -     3     2     1     3     8     -    12
   g726     9     3     3     3     -     3     2     4     9     -    13
  adpcm     8     2     2     2     3     -     1     3     8     -    12
   slin     7     1     1     1     2     1     -     2     7     -    11
  lpc10     8     2     2     2     3     2     1     -     8     -    12
   g729     8     2     2     2     3     2     1     3     -     -    12
  speex     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -
   ilbc     8     2     2     2     3     2     1     3     8     -     -

5) allow the codec in sip.conf under [general]
disallow=all
allow=g729

wyatt.wmvg at comcast.net wrote:
  Good Day,

I am new to Asterisk and I need help in configuring codecs in Asterisk. I also will need to buy the license for G 729 codec and need to put that key in Asterisk. Can someone please provide the step by step instructions for the codec configurations?

Also I am having problems forwarding calls to landline or cellular numbers. As soon as the preson on the forwarded end picks up the call drops - what can cause this and what is the solution?

Thanks

Wyatt