[asterisk-users] Accounting and re-invite

Simon Woodhead woodheads at esms.com
Tue Sep 19 02:13:56 MST 2006

Hi Ronald,

On 9/19/06, Ronald Wiplinger <ronald at elmit.com> wrote:

> I am thinking if re-invite will interfere accounting.

No it won't

Please help me to figure it out:

> Phone A is registered at asterisk and calls a gateway. If the gateway
> allows re-invite than the rtp would go directly from phone A to the
> gateway, while the sip messages are still going through Asterisk.
> Asterisk will be informed when the call ended.
> If it is a postpaid accounting, just bill the customer, however, how is
> it for a pre-paid (calling card user)?
> I think Asterisk will have no power to turn off the call from A to the
> gateway.
> Even more, if the gateway would allow to end a call and continue with a
> new call, the new call would not be billed (or would it)?

The SIP messages control the call, irrespective of where the RTP goes so
Asterisk can terminate/set-up calls exactly as if the RTP was being handled.

I guess the solution must be re-invite=no
> However, re-invite=no means that each call is going with rtp also
> through my server, what means for a remote phone, I have to provide for
> both legs the bandwidth.

Personally, I would always handle the RTP on
quality/accountability/consitency grounds but, yes, that will incur a
bandwidth overhead.