[Asterisk-Users] How to learn or teach VoIP QoE

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Mon Sep 18 16:36:28 MST 2006

Hi,

How would you best learn VoIP Quality of Experience ?

Before diving into packet loss and jitter, I would like to know what a
toll-quality call is, what a rated 3.5 MOS call is like.
I'm wondering how I should proceed.

Shall I :
- get pre-recorded sound files somewhere and simply stream them to a MOS
enabled softphone (Counterpath sells eye-beam which includes a telchemy MOS
rating module),
- or shall I install some network impairment software, generate VoIP trafic
and tweak myself jitter and other parameters so that I can associate network
measures to call quality ?

I've never heard of any sound files library aimed to learn what the impact
of packet is like for end user experience.
I've seen here and there network simulators (some of them free of charge)
but it seems tricky to tune them to VoIP (is a 10% packet loss realistic or
not ?).

To make myself perfectly clear, my ultimate goal is to better undestand
users testimonies when they warn me about poor quality phone calls.

Regards