[asterisk-users] How does Asterisk determine an incoming SIP Channel name?

kjcsb kjcsb at orcon.net.nz
Sun Sep 17 01:26:54 MST 2006

I have a number of different calls coming in to Asterisk from one SIP proxy.
All calls are currently allocated the same SIP Channel name but I want them
to be named differently. Note that Asterisk registers with the SIP Proxy,
not the other way around.

sip.conf

register=5551234:5551234password at domain.com/5551234

register=5552345:5552345password at domain.com/5552345

register=5553456:5553456password at domain.com/5553456

register=5554567:5554567password at domain.com/5554567

[5551234  (Accounts)]
username=5551234
type=peer
host=domain.com

[5553456  (Sales)]
username=5553456
type=peer
host=domain.com

[5554567  (Support)]
username=5554567
type=friend
host=domain.com

[5552345]

username=5552345

type=friend

host=domain.com

When a call comes in from the host to 5551234 for example, the channel is
named SIP/5552345-b7b0b8a8. The same name is given a call from 5553456.

If I remove the [5552345] entry from sip.conf then the channel is named
SIP/5554567-b7b0b8a8 i.e. the channel is named according to the first
username for the host starting at the bottom of the sip.conf file.

Could anyone suggest how I can achieve the desired result?

Thanks and regards

Cameron