[asterisk-users] sip show peers

Andrew Kirch AKirch at AllThingsIT.com
Thu Sep 14 08:25:14 MST 2006

Response below

A SIP ping and an ICMP ping are two different entities.  The SIP ping
operates at a higher level in the OSI stack than a simple ICMP ping.
This means that whatever is receiving the ping has to do more work to
decode it, and respond.  I wouldn't worry about the latency difference
as the SIP Ping is prioritized a bit more by a computer which is
multitasking than by a hard phone which is not.  As for the port, they
simply chose to negotiate on a higher port.  You might check your X-Lite
settings, but I don't think this will break anything!

Andrew