[asterisk-users] rxfax, spandsp and lack of ecm

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed Sep 13 17:16:12 MST 2006

Steve Davies wrote:

> On 9/13/06, Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:
>
>> Artifex Maximus wrote:
>>
>> If you look in http://www.soft-switch.org/download/snapshots/snapdsp,
>> the latest snapshot of spandsp and the app_rxfax and app_txfax
>> applications there provide ECM. It is less well tested than the
>> spandsp-0.0.2 code, but seems to be working pretty well now.
>>

> Fantastic.
>
> This looks pretty good I have to say - The ECM seems as if it may be a
> little intolerant... On a fax machine where I got 100% success in the
> past with 0.0.2, I am now getting "result (60) Disconnected after
> permitted retries." on about every 4th page.
>
> Is the ECM tolerance level tuneable in spandsp, or is this
> hard-defined in the standard? Is it just a matter of changing:
>  #define MAX_MESSAGE_TRIES   3

Your problem probably has nothing to do with tolerance. If an exchange
doesn't succeed after 3 tries, it is unlikely to ever succeed. You are
probably hitting a bug. It is new code. :-)  Can you enable debug with
"|debug" on the command line to rxfax/txfax, and send me the log?

> I also noticed that the page title in the TIFF does not appear to be
> set for the last page received any more (I have not looked into this
> at-all though, so it may be my environment).

Do you mean the title line which spandsp can insert on each page? If so,
I don't know how that can come out on any page with spandsp 0.0.2 or
0.0.3. I fixed a bug in that last night. :-\ The next snapshot should
have that fixed.

Steve