[asterisk-users] Virtualise asterisk on Xen

Mail Lists Account mail-lists at rubright.net
Wed Sep 13 06:32:11 MST 2006

Rene wrote:
> Hi Arik,
>
> I have Asterisk running as guest on my Debain Xen system and it works
> fine. I used to work with an AVM Fritz!PCI ISDN card as well by compiling
> the ISDN driver (Hisax) in the XEN-kernel. You have to be aware that the
> host system does not use the ISDN PCI card by putting
> "physdev_dom0_hide=pci_id" in your grub config.
>
> I never used chan_misdn myself, but if you compile the xen kernel with
> misdn support I don't see any reason it can't work.
>
> Rene
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> has anybody experience running asterisk on a (i.e. fedora-based) Xen
>> system? What about mISDN support etc.?
>>
>> For a low-load system I thought about using:
>> 1. Sempron 2800+
>> 2. some memory, in your opinion how much should I attribute to the
>> asterisk guest system?
>> 3. A AVM Fritz!PCI card for PSTN access
>> 4. HFCPCI-S card in nt-mode for internal ISDN bus provision
>> 5. Asterisk 1.2 with chan_misdn for the ISDN-card support
>>
>> It would be great to hear some of your thoughts on this set-up?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Arik
>>

>> NB: I have the impression that virtualisation is not a big issue on this
>> mailing list... Is that due to a show-stopper I overlooked, just because
>> everything goes so smoothly that nobody even bothers to mention it ;-),
>> or because everybody has plenty of hardware they can dedicate to their
>> PBXs?

I have attempted to use Xen on FC5 for my Asterisk setup as well.  This
is for my home office, so very few extensions, so I thought a Dell
Optiplex PIII 550Mhz should handle this nicely.

In my setup I have a single Digium X101P PCI card to provide FXO access.

The problem I've run into is the FC5 kernels for Xen do NOT allow the
PCI hiding capability, it is not compiled into the Dom0 and DomU Fedora
provided kernels.  Because of this, I cannot get access to my Digium
card in the DomU...so I'm stuck.  I don't really want to compile my own
kernel...just for this.

If I could get past this issue, I'd be running Asterisk in a Xen DomU
domain.

Ed