[asterisk-users] OT, Definity G3 Problems with Asterisk (Any Avaya Definity Experts out there?)

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Wed Sep 13 03:21:16 MST 2006

I am trying to connect a Definity G3 to an asterisk system.  I had it
working OK with the exception of the caller ID on the Definity handsets
just showing the trunk-group name, this was using Switchvox.  Prior to
that, I used Trixbox and caller ID was fine on the phones.  Just to make
sure that the problem was actually with the Switchvox and not the
configs in the Definity I set up another PRI link to connect to a
Trixbox system.

I created another ISDN Processor Channel and other configs to make a
separate ISDN T1 connection.  It worked as far as the D channels come up
(and go down over and over) on the circuits but no B channels.

I later read that you can only have one ISDN entry in the processor
channel assignment.

When I try to remove the second (or even modify the first entry) I get
"identifier not assigned"

I have busied out everything relating to the signalling and data but
still get "identifier not assigned" when I remove the entry from the
Communication-interface Processor-channels form.

it is just two lines.

1 isdn  1   h
2 isdn  2   h

I cannot remove or change anything.  If I press enter, it accepts the
command with no changes.

If I try to remove the data-module, it says I must first remove the
communication link.  If I try to remove the link, it says I have to
remove the communication processor.  As stated above, I cannot remove
the processor so I am stuck.

I do not have any contract with Avaya.  Do they do hourly or per
incident work?  If so, how do I go about initiating a trouble ticket?

The other option I was considering is to reset the box back to factory
defaults.  This was once a huge system but now there are only about 25
active stations, three trunk groups, and 15 POTS lines.

I would need a listing of how they are all setup such as
extensions/ports and buttons mappings, and I am still not sure there is
a factory reset option.

I cannot remove the DS1s or make the Definity-> Asterisk work until I
can remove it.

Please help, this was a production system!!!