[asterisk-users] Voip providers and sip origination and termination?

Yair Hakak yair at hakak.com
Sun Sep 10 12:51:10 MST 2006

the thing to remember is that these terms are from the point of view of the
PSTN.
So, SIP origination is Direct Inbound Dial (DID, or DDI in european
parlance) which allows callers on the PSTN to originate calls that end up at
your SIP server.
SIP termination allows calls which originate on your SIP server to terminate
on the PSTN, i.e. to reach a non-voip line.

Voip providers who provide "plans" are bundling 2 distinct services.
Broadvoice, for example, does not expect its users to understand the terms,
and just offers them what used to be called a "phone line" - the ability to
make calls (termination) and recieve them (origination).

i hope this helps,
 yair

On 9/10/06, Christopher Corn <christopher_corn at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  can someone please explain the differnces to me???
>
> I have an asterisk system im setting up for a small office (4 or 5
> phones) and as im looking for a voip provider, i find that voip providers
> generally have unlimited plans, and those that offer sip origination and
> termination get charged for the minute, for their outgoing and incoming
> calls.
>
> is there a difference in the backend architecture here? if so, what? or is
> this is just a difference in marketing terms and setup?
>
> for example, http://www.broadvoice.com offers an unlimited plan in the US
> for calls, though they never use the term sip origination and termination.
> they say their systems also supports asterisk.
>
> yet
> http://www.bandwidth.com/content/enterprise?page=voice_services_origination_termination&campaignId=701300000000JBJ calls
> it sip origination and termination
>
> any info is appreciated! thanks!