[asterisk-users] Little help for a newbie configuring a TDM13B - ztcfg fails on channel 4

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Sep 9 01:40:44 MST 2006

Hi

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 04:54:32PM -0500, Iván Vega R. wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm new on Asterisk.

One help item: please post messages with a descriptive subject line.
Something like:

  problem configuring zaptel

or:

  ZT_CHANCONFIG failed on channel 4: Invalid argument (22)

> I'm trying to follow a few tutorials on the net,
> and fortunately this has been the only stumbling block so far.
>
> I do:
> modprobe zaptel

A separate modprobe for zaptel is not needed. The whole point of
modprobe is that a module will automatically load

> modprobe wcfxs
> modprobe wcfxs
> modprobe wcfxs
> modprobe wcfxo

You seem to be confused here: You need to load just one kernel module
for the TDM400P card: wctdm . wcfxo is for the single-port FXO card
X100P. wcfxs is an obsolete version of wctdm. There is no point in
already loaded, modprobe will simply do nothing.

So why do people run 'modprobe zaptel' separately?

One possible and very stupid reason is that they have configured (in
/etc/modprobe.conf ) an automatic executionof ztcfg after the load of
the module zaptel . It will naturally fail. Just remove any such a line
from modprobe.conf .

Another less stupid reason is that people run ztcfg automatically after
files that take some time to get generated in later udev-based system.
So the fix is to remove the automatic execusion of ztcfg from the
post-install action of wctdm as well.

> I have this on zapata.conf:
> [channels]
> busydetect=1
> busycount=7

You use Kewlstart signalling. This means that you expect the telco to
provide you hangup detection. In such a case: why do you use busydetect?
(detecting that a line is busy by hearing <busycount> busy tones)

> relaxdtmf=yes

relaxdtmf by default? Maybe give the telco some credit?

> transfer=yes
> cancallforward=yes
>
> usecallerid=yes
>
> echocancel=yes
> echocancelwhenbridged=yes
>
> rxgain=0.0
> txgain=0.0
>
> group=1
> pickupgroup=1-4

The FXO channel is in the same pickup group?

> immediate=no
>
> context=hemac
>
> signalling=fxo_s

signalling=fxo_ks

> callerid=asreceived
> channel=1
> channel=2
> channel=3

; shorter method:
channel=1-3

> group=2
> callerid="Batman"<123>
> signalling=fxs_ks
> channel=4
>
> After I run ztcfg -vv I get this:
> Channel 01: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 01)
> Channel 02: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 02)
> Channel 03: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 03)
> Channel 04: FXO Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 04)
>
> 4 channels configured.
>
> Changing signalling on channel 4 from Unused to FXO Kewlstart
> ZT_CHANCONFIG failed on channel 4: Invalid argument (22)
>
> Strange this is that if I change the signalling on the first three
> channels (or the 4th for that matter), the same message appears, so
> I'm wondering if it's picking up the changes in the configuration...
> or is there something I'm not getting?

The exact modules that were detected on thecard can be shown in the
kernel messages that followed the load of the module wctdm . (Or use the
script xpp/genzaptelconf to generate a valid zaptel.conf )

Tzafrir Cohen         sip:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
icq#16849755          iax:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406          jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com     http://www.xorcom.com